Saturday, December 10, 2011

Watch those unsolicited insurance calls

Originally published 3/31/11 on lubbockonline.com/glasshouses

When I got home from work my wife told me about a phone call she'd received just before I arrived. A foreign man told her he was from the insurance company. I suppose it's obvious he wasn't, or I wouldn't be writing about it. He knew her name. He knew she was in Lubbock, but that was about all he knew. She asked him what insurance company he was from, and he said his company represents all of the online companies. He could tell her what companies he represents, but not who our insurance company is, even though he claimed to represent them. When he asked for her birthday, address and if she'd had any wrecks or tickets she told him if he represented our insurance company he should already have that information. He hung up on her. For amusement I called the number that the caller ID gave when he called. It wasn't an insurance company. I've included a few seconds of it for your amusement and edification. Never trust an unsolicited phone call from 'your' insurance company, mortgage company, bank, whatever. Don't let them push you into proving who you are. They called you. If they don't know who you are hang up, call your real insurance company, bank, whatever, and find out if they need to talk to you. If it was actually them, they'll understand. If they don't, find one that will.

No comments:

Post a Comment