Thursday, November 19, 2009

Healthcare workers not hip to HIPAA

According to the Modern Healthcare website, a significant number of healthcare employees don't know that they are subject to HIPAA regulations. It's apparently a failure to communicate. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 extended who has to comply to HIPAA regulations, but as many as 50%+ of newly affected workers failed to get the memo. I'd be less concerned if I didn't wonder how many of the employees who were already affected by HIPAA haven't got the memo yet.

England has had it's worst consumer data breach in a while courtesy of a Verizon T-Mobile employee who sold customer info. Hey Verizon T-Mobile, I want better controls over my data! Can you hear me now?

[Edited @ 1:57pm because apparently I have subconscious issues with Verizon]

1 comment:

  1. [...] last week I wondered how many healtcare workers didn’t know they were affected by HIPAA. Apparently 16 [...]

    ReplyDelete