Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Facebook in denial

Facebook is looking at changing it's privacy policy again. This time the idea is to share your data with a "select few" companies in order to "provide you with useful social experiences off Facebook. I can't think of a third party company I would want to share my Facebook information with. I can't think of one that I would care that they had it, either, but that's not the point. Facebook is making this an opt-out program. If you should opt-out, the companies are required to remove your data from their records, but that's kind of like telling Pandora to put the bad things back in the box.

In an article in eWeek.com Facebook dismisses the idea that the change has anything to do with advertising. I suppose that could be true. They could be getting paid for the personal data that would be given to the third party rather than use the data for advertising.

Either way, I agree with this Facebook user:

"My privacy is paramount to me and UNLESS I say so explicitly you have no right to provide my data to whoever you think is authorized," wrote Facebook user Harish Menon. "I don't care if it's your mom and you think she's trustworthy; I don't want my data to be given out to anyone unless I say so."