Saturday, January 9, 2010

Well, Duh...

I hate that word. It's rude, disrespectful, and shows how utterly low your opinion of someones intelligence really is. But sometimes it's appropriate. For instance, I was looking through my alerts, and Credit.com just leapt out with a "DUH!" headline, "Data breach statistics show sign of a widespread problem."

Don't get me wrong, the headline is accurate, but to anyone who's been watching these things, and I suspect many who haven't, that's kind of like saying fire is hot. Apparently 1 in 6 people in Massachusetts have been victim of identity theft, and that is what brought this problem to their attention.

1 in 6 people. With the number and scope of data breaches that have happened just in the last two years it's a little surprising it's not 1 in 4 or even 1 in 3. I know 2 people whose identities may have been compromised, and 1 whose identity was most definitely stolen. Identity theft is a big problem, I'm just surprised it took Credit.com this long to realize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment